Thursday, 28 February 2013

The Changes from Earlier Drafts

In the 1st Draft we opened the film with Jane at 15 and her father Lewis playing chess with her, and Lewis showing her a move which was called The Wyatt Capture which was also the initial title of the script. This leads to Victor and Lewis playing their match, and Victor murdering Lewis as Lewis had beat him at chess. It would then reveal the motives, and reasoning, the problem was that there was no mystery. The ending was also not satisfying.

As more Drafts were made the film had been written more as a mystery which works a lot better as it gets the audience thinking and trying to understand what is happening when the film begins. As the film progresses there would be quick flashbacks, however the audience would not know this until the murder is shown in a flashback near the end. The ending now also holds up a lot more. The title has also been modified as The Wyatt Diversion.

Before ever writing the 1st Draft I researched more into chess. In the earlier Drafts the game was not accurate as it was just a game I myself  played trying to put my movements within the script, this did not work as I was and still am not a brilliant player where Victor is so for the most recent Draft I followed an actual match watching the exact moves of two players and making notes, then adding them into the script as well as this as our prop chess board for the film is a professional board numbered I would note down the exact squares specific pieces would have to be on for the film to have a cut where the characters are near the end of their game and the pieces are in the right places.

My research has actually gotten me more into chess and I feel that I am a stronger player than I ever was before.

I am very happy with where we are at with this production and cannot wait for the shooting days.

No comments:

Post a Comment